The Ministry of Defence announced in Mar 2010 that in order to be better balanced to meet the challenges of current operations, the Army is making adjustments to its structures which is likely to result in some soldiers having to leave the Army through what are known as Manning Control Points. Between 300 and 500 soldiers are likely to be discharged against their will in financial year 2011-2012. UPDATE Sep 2010: See also Return of the brown envelope part 2: 'War heroes to be axed in army cull'.
As Douglas Young made clear in a BBC interview on 23 March, BAFF does not object to the stated aims of the policy as set out by the MoD, but says there is a need for independent monitoring of the policy's implementation and advocacy of those affected, as Manning Control has a distinctly murky history. See "What happened last time round" below.
Manning control is a policy used by the army to dismiss soldiers who are considered to be 'not fit for a full army career' and to make space for new recruits. All soldiers can be reviewed after 6, 9, and 12 years in the Army and dismissed if considered surplus to requirements and a posting to another unit was not possible.
- MoD 22 Mar 2010 - Rebalancing Army Manpower
- New page on Wikipedia - Manning Control
- NEW Apr 2010: Facebook Group - Please don't let the MOD rip off our Troops Pensions using Manning Control
- BBC 22 Mar 2010 - Troops axed in army cutback plan
- Times 23 Mar 2010 - 500 soldiers face losing their jobs to help MoD balance the books
- Independent 23 Mar 2010 - 'Full-strength' Army to retire soldiers
What happened last time round
- Telegraph 23 Jun 2003 - Soldiers forced out to save pension money sue MoD
- Mail - 24 Jun 2003 - Army pension 'scam'
- Telegraph 01 Dec 2003 - Army 'forcing out sick Gulf veterans'
- Herald, 01 Mar 2004 - Soldiers lined up for sacking while in Iraq Row brews over 'manning control' rules
- Telegraph, 13 Apr 2004 - Sick soldiers 'sacked to save pensions'
- Telegraph 25 May 2004 - Army threw out 259 medically unfit soldiers, admits minister
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Search Parliament - "Manning Control"
- Created on .
- Last updated on .
- Hits: 3755