Sunday, August 01, 2021

Service voters

Registering to vote

You can register as a service voter if you are a member of the regular armed forces or the spouse or civil partner of someone in thearmed forces. Registering as a service voter allows you to be registered at a fixed address in the UK even if you move around.


If you are abroad at the time of the election or have another reason to not vote at the polling station, you can apply to vote by post or by proxy.

More information can be found in the Electoral Commission’s armed forces voting booklet (PDF).

Civilian voters

Registering to vote

If you want to vote in the general election you must be on the electoral register. You can register online or by post. You will need to provide your name, address, date of birth and National Insurance number (if you have one).

Please note: If you want to vote in the general election on 7 May 2015 the deadline is 20 April 2015.


There are a number of ways to place your vote in the General Election – in person, by proxy or by post.



Source: based on post by House of Commons Digital Outreach Team (DOT)